- Drivers license required
MetroWest HomeCare & Hospice
Touching lives…every day
TITLE: Director of Hospice
REPORTS TO: Senior Vice President, Home Health
1. Registered Nurse in the State with current licensure to practice professional nursing.
2. Master’s degree in Nursing preferred.
3. Prior management experience in a hospice or related health care field.
4. Demonstrated ability to supervise and direct professional and administrative personnel.
5. Ability to market and deal tactfully with customers and the community.
6. Must be a licensed driver with an automobile that is insured in accordance with state and/or organizational requirements and is in good working order.
7. Excellent observation, verbal and written communication skills.
8. Knowledge of NHPCO, QAPI, Medicare Hospice Benefit, DPH, and Joint Commission standards.
The Director of Hospice will possess knowledge of current hospice regulations, a sophisticated business and management style coupled with a deep and personal commitment to the hospice concept. The Director of Hospice establishes, implements and evaluates goals and objectives for hospice services which contribute to the success of the Hospice Program. S/he will possess excellent communication and problem resolution skills along with the ability to motivate and direct others.
1. Assures compliance with all local, state and federal laws regarding licensure and certification of agency personnel and, maintains compliance with JCAHO home health/hospice standards.
2. Stays informed about changes in the field of nursing and hospice care; shares information with appropriate agency personnel.
3. Promotes hospice referrals in the health care community.
4. Facilitates assessment, planning, implementation and evaluation of patient care by other hospice team members.
5. Assists the Executive Vice President/Administrator in the preparation and administration of the agency's budget.
6. Interprets operational indicators to detect census changes and increases or decreases in volume that could impact staffing levels, revenues or expenses.
7. Hires, evaluates, and terminates agency personnel.
8. Creates a culture that is committed to employee engagement and the satisfaction of all stakeholders.
9. Oversees the maintenance of patient clinical records, statistics, reports and records for purposes of evaluation and reporting of agency activities.
10. Assures proper maintenance of clinical records in compliance with local, state and federal laws.
11. Responsible for the maintenance of adequate and appropriate inventory supplies and equipment for the provision of patient services.
12. Develops, implements and evaluates the orientation program for new hospice personnel. Responsible for orientation of new hospice personnel, directly or delegated.
13. Plans and implements in-service and continuing education programs to meet education and training needs of agency personnel.
14. Works closely with agency Director of Information and Quality to insure proper implementation of key initiatives. Actively participates in Performance Improvement activities of the agency.
15. Assists with the evaluation of organization performance via performance improvement program, productivity, quarterly and annual reviews. Assures for the quality and safe delivery of hospice services provided through the Organization.
16. Assists in the development of organization goals. Develops, recommends, and administers organization policy and procedures.
17. Is a contributing member of the Vanguard Palliative Care Steering Team.
18. Seeks consultation from Hospice Medical Director as needed.
19. Chairs the interdisciplinary team meetings and provides direction and oversight on development, review, and revision of plans of care. Facilitates appropriate information exchange.
20. Participates in hospice and administrative on-call rotations.
21. Works with Liaison Nurse to market to referral sources.
22. Self directed and able to work independently.
23. Demonstrates understanding of the organization’s mission and values through behaviors that support the Great Eight service commitments.
24. All other responsibilities as assigned by the Executive Vice President/Administrator.
WORKING CONDITIONS: Office environment, constant use of computer and telephone, travel by car to offsite locations and patient homes