PeaceHealth, based in Vancouver, Wash., is a not-for-profit Catholic health system offering care to communities in Washington, Oregon, and Alaska. PeaceHealth has approximately 16,000 caregivers, a multi-specialty medical group practice with more than 800 physicians and providers, a comprehensive laboratory system, and nine medical centers serving both urban and rural communities throughout the Northwest. In 1890, Sisters of St. Joseph of Peace founded what has become PeaceHealth. Today, PeaceHealth is the legacy of its founding Sisters and continues to serve communities when invited to do so with a spirit of collaboration and stewardship. This is The Spirit of Healing—The Spirit of PeaceHealth.
Department:Transitional Care Unit (6500)
The Charge Nurse is a frontline leader who works under the direction of the Manager/Director. The Charge Nurse assists the Manager/Director in coordinating unit activities which assure safe and clinically effective patient care. The Charge Nurse supports and directs staff members in providing compassionate care and services to patients and families from diverse ethnic and social groups. Independent decision-making is expected in the execution of routine duties.
1. Coordinate patient care by shift and department.
2. Supervision and assessment of clinical practice. Direct and delegate to other team members.
3. Coach for performance to achieve individual and organizational goals; including orientation, competencies and evaluations.
4. Develop the departmental team and collaborative relationships to achieve expected outcomes.
5. Serve as a clinical and resource expert for the department.
6. Articulate shift/team operational issues to management as appropriate.
7. Appropriate stewardship of resources.
8. Adapts decision-making style to the situation and level of authority for achieving an optimal outcome including using collaborative decision making and effective communication skills.
9. Identify and apply opportunities for clinical practice improvement and support them with staff.
10. Ensure professional effectiveness through education and professional development.
11. Performs other duties as assigned.
Graduate of an accredited school of nursing.
• One-year experience as a designated charge nurse or other supervisory position preferred. Demonstrates preceptor and monitoring skills preferred.
• Satisfactory performance in staff nurse classification (minimum three years)required. Demonstrates effective leadership abilities. Demonstrates ability to promote positive interpersonal relationships and customer-focused work environment. Demonstrates the ability to create high staff morale. Demonstrates proficiency with all aspects of the Resident Assessment Instrument (RAI) process.
• Facilitation skills preferred.
• Demonstrated knowledge of and ability to apply age specific principles of growth and development and life stages to meet each patient’s needs.
• Current Registered Nurse licensure in the state of Alaska.
• Current BLS (Basic Life Support) certification required upon hire.
• Demonstrated ability to promote positive interpersonal relationships and patient/family centered work environment
• Able to support and interpret medical center’s philosophy, policies and procedures
• Ability to balance information regarding patient needs, staff needs, and unit needs in decision making
• Demonstrated interest in staff development
• Excellent communication and problem solving skills
• Strong organizational skills
• Proficient computer skills including MS Office applications
Location: Ketchikan, AK
Job Category: Management/Executives; Nursing - RN Patient Care
Work Type: Part Time
Salary range starts at:$28.84
Required Certifications/Licensure:Basic Life Support; Registered Nurse - Alaska
The above information on this description has been designed to indicate the general nature and level of work performed within this job class. It is not designed to contain or be interpreted as a comprehensive inventory of all duties, responsibilities, and qualifications required of caregivers assigned to this job.
Posting Notes: Ketchikan, AK || Management/Executives; Nursing - RN Patient Care || Part Time || LONG TERM CARE SVCS