Director of Student Health Center/Nurse Practitioner or Physician Assistant
Touro University California
Touro University California, a rapidly growing university offering graduate programs in health sciences and education, has an excellent opportunity for a Director of Student Health Center/Nurse Practitioner or Physician Assistant for Department of Student Services on our Mare Island campus. The university is part of the Touro College and University System and is located on the northern tip of San Francisco Bay in Vallejo, California. Touro University California is an independent, non‐profit Jewish‐sponsored institution. It has 1,403 students in three graduate professional colleges (Osteopathic Medicine, Pharmacy, Education and Health Sciences).
The Director of Student Health Center/Nurse Practitioner or Physician Assistant works collaboratively with faculty and staff in academic programs to insure timely, accurate documentation in student health records of history and physicals, drug screening, immunizations, serological titers and certifications needed for clinical learning placements. The Director supervises one Medical Assistant and is part of a student services staff that includes a Clinical Psychologist and Learning Specialist.
Within the guidelines of Touro University’s Standardized Procedures Agreement, and under the direction and supervision of the Medical Director, the Student Health Center Director is the primary point of patient contact and treatment for the Touro University student body.
The position requires effective organizational, managerial and interpersonal skills, as well as clinical practice expertise. The ability to work collaboratively with colleagues across the campus to serve students is essential. As a Nurse Practitioner, Physician Assistant or other licensed healthcare provider, the Director must also meet Touro University Credentialing Criteria.
REPORTS TO: Associate Dean of Student Services
SPECIFIC RESPONSIBILITIES: are those work assignments which are predominant, regular and recurring.
• Provides supervision, oversight and support to the Touro University Student Health Center.
• Is the primary clinician for the Student Health Center.
• Coordinates and maintains a Student Health Insurance Data Base.
• Works with college and program representatives, and Performance Improvement Committee (PIC), to develop health and immunization requirements for students.
• Collaborates with colleges and programs to organize and conduct student health screenings, drug screens and immunization clinics.
• Maintains a comprehensive student health and immunization data base for over 1,000 students.
• Tracks student compliance with health and immunization requirements; Notifies academic programs of student compliance and non‐compliance determinations; Alerts student and program when renewals are indicated.
• Participates in all program orientations to ensure incoming health requirements are achieved prior to matriculation at Touro University California and students are aware of services provided by the Student Health Center.
• Works with Clinical Education Coordinators in colleges to ensure compliance with immunizations required for student clinical experiences.
• Insures Student Health Center services and student medical records are compliant with HIPPA and FERPA mandates.
• Designs, provides, and evaluates health promotion and risk reduction services for Touro University students.
• Participates in assessment of Student Health Center services and quality improvement efforts.
• Working closely and cooperatively with the Director of Counseling Services in a leadership role for development and implementation of the campus Drug and Alcohol Abuse Prevention Program.
• Engages in university service through participation in committees and events such as:
o Performance Improvement Committee
o University Emergency Response Team
o University Safety Committee
o Student Services Staff meetings
o University Student Health Insurance Committee
o Student Senate
o Youth outreach activities, i.e. Teen Life Conference
SUPERVISORY RESPONSIBILITIES (if applicable): should reflect who the employee is supervising and what the expectations are.
QUALIFICATION(S): is the Education, Training and/or related experience needed by the person to perform the job.
• Student Health Center Administrative Coordinator
• 2 Medical Assistants
• Graduate of a National League for Nursing Accrediting Commission approved Nurse Practitioner Program or an Accreditation Review Commission on Education for the Physician Assistant (ARC‐PA) accredited PA program
• Current California Board of Registered Nursing or Physician Assistant license
• Current California Board of Registered Nursing Certification as a Nurse Practitioner or current NCCPA certification
• Current BLS and ACLS Certification
• Current DEA License
• Experience working in a student health environment preferred
Additional qualifications for NPs:
• Current Furnishing License
• Certification by the American Academy of Nurse Practitioners is preferred
CORE COMPETENCIES: identify the behavior an employee is expected to demonstrate.
• As per the Standardized Agreement
Salary is competitive and commensurate with background and experience. Letters of application and resume should be directed to:
1. Complete an online application: http://hr.tu.edu/employmentops/
2. AND Email: Apply@tu.edu
Subject: Your Name, Director of Student Health Center OR
3. Mail: Touro University California 1310 Club Drive Vallejo, CA 94592
Touro University California is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer
Touro is a system of Jewish‐sponsored non‐profit institutions of higher and professional education. Touro College was chartered in 1970 primarily to enrich the Jewish heritage, and to serve the larger American community. Approximately 19,000 students are currently enrolled in its various schools and divisions. Touro College has branch campuses, locations and instructional sites in the New York area, as well as branch campuses and programs in Berlin, Jerusalem, Moscow, Paris, and Florida. Touro University California and its Nevada branch campus, as well as Touro College Los Angeles, are separately accredited institutions within the Touro College and University System. For further information on Touro College, please go to: http://www.touro.edu/media/.