NOTE: THE PERSON HIRED FOR THIS POSITION WILL BE EMPLOYED BY PREMIERCARE, a company contracted by St. Joseph to provide geriatric psychiatric services.
SENIOR RENEWAL/GERIATRIC PSYCHIATRIC PROGRAM - PROGRAM NURSE
The Program Nurse is responsible for providing nursing assessments, formulating initial treatment, discharge and aftercare plans, and overseeing the medical and psychiatric management of the patient in coordination with the attending physician. The Program nurse is a member of the treatment team and provides input into the development of the Master Treatment Plan. The Program Nurse participates in the program’s quality improvement, risk management and utilization review functions as directed, acts as the program’s Infection Control Nurse, and participates as a member of the program’s Referral Development Committee. The Program Nurse functions within the context of relevant nursing practice acts and in accordance with all state and federal regulations.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS
- Utilizes nursing process to provide nursing care in assessment, diagnosis, planning, implementation and evaluation.
- Provides 1-to-1 interventions and documents such activity appropriately.
- Monitors patient’s medical and psychiatric condition on an ongoing basis, reporting significant findings to the physician verbally and through required documentation.
- Insures that medication and medical treatment as prescribed by the physician is self-administered, with assistance if needed.
- Actively participates in treatment team decisions, collecting data, assessing patient needs, designing and implementing treatment interventions, and evaluating and documenting patient responses.
- Communicates with family, caregivers and residence regarding changes in treatment.
- Communicates with other medical professionals as directed including arranging appointments for treatment and assessment.
- Acts as Infection Control Nurse, reporting significant findings and assuring program compliance with relevant standards.
- Actively supports the mission, philosophy and goals of the host hospital and of PremierCare.
- Acts decisively and effectively in managing staff and patients during emergency situations.
- Adheres to work practices consistent with PremierCare and host hospital missions, Medical Staff Bylaws, and administrative, departmental and human resources policies and procedures; maintains the highest level of ethics in all areas of program activity.
- Participates in Referral Development Committee activities which include, but are not limited to, visiting facilities and programs representing the Center’s mission and program, providing relevant seminars and inservices to both providers and consumers, and actively networking within professional and personal spheres of influence.
- Participates in and provides leadership for quality improvement, utilization review, risk management and other related activities.
- Assists in coordinating staff development activities as directed.
- Is available to assist in transporting patients in company vehicle.Fulfills other duties as assigned.
Geriatric (age 60+)
Flexibility in duties; good verbal skills; adept at dealing with people and identifying treatment
needs, especially in the geriatric community. Physical demands include ability to lift and carry up
to 50 pounds and physically assist patients and move equipment as needed. Job requires frequent
standing, bending, reaching and stooping. Ability to support and physically restrain patients
weighing up to 250 pounds. Able to apply and implementCMS, TJC and other state, federal and
regulatory guidelines in a hospital-based psychiatric program. Ability to drive in accordance with
applicable state and DOT rules and regulations.
Graduate of an accredited school of nursing with current state Registered
Nurse or Licensed Vocation Nurse license, CPR certification and current driver’s license required. A minimum of 3 years experience
in psychiatric care with experience in providing care to a geriatric population preferred.
Supervised by Program Director and responsible to hospital’s Director of Nursing as the
Program’s Nurse Manager. Provides supervision as directed to the program's Psych-Tech.