License/Cert Required:Lic Registered Nurse,Cert Basic Cardiac Life Supprt,Cert Adv Cardiac Life Support
Minimum Experience:1 - 3 Years
Specialty Type:Not Applicable
The Clinical Educator is responsible for the development and implementation of the education plans for the nursing department, both department wide and unit specific. In this, the Clinical Educator is responsible for the orientation of new employees, provision of in-services, development and implementation of special education programs as determined by need. The Clinical Educator works with the Clinical Manager and staff to identify learning needs on the units and plans for education accordingly. The Clinical Educator functions as a consultative resource to staff on standards of practice, and thus must remain current with nursing practices. The Clinical Educator assists staff in planning in-services presentations, etc., to support shared governance.
Duties and Responsibilities:
1. In consultation and collaboration with the Director of Professional Development and the Clinical Education team, develops and implements a comprehensive education plan for Registered Nurses, Licensed Practical Nurses, Patient Care Technicians, unit clerks and other staff as appropriate.
2. Communicates Education Plan to all necessary managers and staff.
3. Coordinates the implementation of the Education Plan so that it is organized hospital wide.
4. Identifies in conjunction with the Directors, Managers and Professional Development Council, hospital wide and unit specific competencies and frequency required, then incorporates these into the Education Plan.
5. Assists with organizing, scheduling and staffing competencies, hospital wide and unit specific.
6. Plans, coordinates and revises as necessary the unit based orientation for units assigned, working with the Clinical Manager and the preceptors to assure a thorough orientation, based on the unit’s patient population and the scope of services offered.
7. Follows up regularly (weekly) with preceptor, orientee and manager during orientation to assure good communication, to assist with evaluation of the orientee, assessing learning needs and communicating progress to the Clinical Manager, and to assure records are complete.
8. Develops/participates in special projects as needed, such as new equipment or new and/or revised practices.
9. Using a variety of methods, assesses the learning needs of the nursing department staff, hospital wide and unit specific.
10. Based on assessed needs for continuing education and the Education Plan, determines the best teaching methods, and then coordinates the time, space and equipment needed to present the different topics.
11. Maintains records to show attendance and successful completion of educational offerings and/or requirements, and assures the Clinical Manager receives records for employee files. Enters information into the computer.
12. Demonstrates competency in subject matters being presented. Presentations are neat, orderly, clear and professional.
13. Monitors staff competency continuously through direct observation, discussions with managers and discussions with staff.
14. Research: a) Reviews literature and keeps informed of current trends in her/his field. b) Utilizes current research findings for proposed changes in policies, procedures and of program content.
15. Assists with development of performance improvement plans for new employees as well as other staff, as needed. Assists in evaluating completeness of the plan.
16. Maintains/updates educational resources.
17. Provides input to Nurse Manager for probationary and annual evaluation as requested.
18. Participates in related consortiums.
19. Attend, actively participate in committee and council meetings. Act as a chair as requested.
20. Demonstrates support and compliance with University Maryland Medical Center Midtown Campus’ mission, vision, values, philosophy, goals, objectives and policies.
21. Performs additional functions to assist the Director of Professional Development and other activities as assigned.
Licensure: Currently licensed in the State of Maryland.
Education: Bachelor’s Degree in Nursing, MS preferred. Certification in specialty desired.
Experience: Three-five years experience in clinical specialty. Formal teaching experience preferred.