Assistant Nurse Manager (RN) - Emergency Medicine - (140432)
Department: Emergency Medicine
FTE: 40 hours per week
Honored as Top Hospital of the Decade by The Leapfrog Group, Virginia Mason in Seattle, WA, is internationally recognized as a preeminent organization that is focused on transforming health care. True to that vision, we spent this past decade creating and delivering a multitude of innovations. The results? Industry-changing process improvements and initiatives that have revolutionized our ability to eliminate waste, cut costs, and most importantly, improve the quality of services. Our commitment to Team Medicine and the transformation of health care is what built our reputation as a quality leader, and empowers us with the capability to provide rapid access to care through our Virginia Mason Production System.
As a key member of our leadership team, you will help to continually develop the results-driven initiatives that define our success and are transforming healthcare.
The Assistant Nurse Manager supports the department manager in providing leadership and direction to while providing supervision and patient care. Ensures optimal flow and utilization of resources to meet demand for services with available staff. Addresses patient care or service problems as necessary. Clinically competent for patient populations served.
- Ensures smooth flow of department operations by directing the work of assigned staff, including RNs and support staff. Assigns and changes priorities within the work unit to ensure exceptional quality and service. Acts as a resource to staff, providers and other individuals for all daily operational needs.
- Responsible for implementation and follow-through of standard work, lean initiatives and department goals, in conjunction with the department manager.
- Recruits, hires, trains, disciplines and supervises staff including completion of performance evaluations and competency assessments. Maintains and updates staff procedures, staff training programs and quality assurance programs.
- Assists with budget development and management. Ensures cost-effective daily operations and allocation of resources to optimize available staff with demand for service.
- Ensures compliance with state, federal and regulatory agency requirements for facilities, clinical care and staff.
- Provides clinical nursing care using the nursing process. Incorporates evidence-based practice. Meets documentation requirements.
- Ensures nursing staffing levels are adequate to provide safe and effective nursing care.
- Bachelor's degree in Nursing, current enrollment in a BSN program, or commitment to achieve a BSN degree required (must be enrolled in a BSN program within one year of position entry date and complete the program within three years of position entry date. As an alternative, a nurse with a foreign nursing degree may obtain BSN degree equivalency through the CGFNS Credential Evaluation Service within one year of position date.)
- Current licensure as a registered nurse in the state of Washington required.
- Three years acute care nursing experience or one year acute care nursing experience plus two years leadership experience required
- Demonstrated skill in prioritizing the demands of daily operations and organizing resources
- Demonstrated excellent oral and written communication skills
- Active listening skills and conflict mediation skills
- Demonstrated skill in facilitating change and building effective teams
Virginia Mason offers much more than competitive compensation and benefits. With continuing education opportunities and the added potential of relocation assistance, you will find our commitment to your well-being is both rewarding and refreshing.
There is also the lifestyle benefit that comes with finding yourself in the heart of the Pacific Northwest. Surrounded by the vibrancy and sophistication of one of the most livable cities in the country, finding the perfect urban or outdoor pursuit will instinctively and pleasurably become second nature.
We are an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer.