Center for Vascular Medicine(CVM)
Position Description: REGISTERED NURSE
Immediate Supervisor: CVM Nursing Manager
Under limited supervision of the Medical Director and direct supervision of the CVM Nursing Manager, provides comprehensive Registered Nurse case management to patients. Establish a professional practice climate and facilitates the treatment plan for patient's care. Ensures the treatment is administered appropriately according to professional practice standards.
Assist in the performance of cardiovascular procedures and patient oriented duties to assist with the conduct of Cardiovascular Lab procedures, including, but not limited to diagnostic and therapeutic intervention procedures for treatment of arterial and venous disease. Provide assistance to physicians, technologists and other RN's; participates in Quality Assurance Program.
Other equipment utilized may include, but is not limited to monitoring equipment, surgical instruments, pulse oximeter, ECG machine, ACT machine, film viewer, etc. Performs ECG's, monitors patients during procedures, and prepares test results and data for review. Assists with pre and post procedure management of patients according to Lab guidelines
B. DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
(This enumeration is representative rather than inclusive.)
Nurse must assume responsibility for:
A. Check patient's identification band upon admission to department.
B. Check patient's chart and available information on laboratory results for any changes in condition, notify physician of any gross changes;
C. Check patient for: hospital gown; jewelry; glasses,dentures or contact lenses
1. Assists with pre-procedure preparation of patients according to lab guidelines.
2. Explains procedures to patients and/or family members, provides instructions to patients pre, during and post procedure.
3. Connects patients to monitoring equipment, such as EKG, pulse oximeter, non-invasive
blood pressure and invasive pressure monitor, etc.
4. Performs technical procedures on patients such as ECGs, etc.
5. Operates monitoring equipment, oxygen saturation monitor, Hemochron, etc.
6. Cleans and maintains equipment according to departmental procedures; appropriately labels and stores malfunctioning equipment; advises appropriate staff members of inoperable equipment.
7. Assists supervisor in maintaining Quality Assurance Program/Quality Improvement Program to ensure departmental goals are met.
8. Performs and assists with sheath pulling responsibilities per departmental policy.
9. Assists in maintaining inventory and stocks necessary supplies in assigned areas.
10. Adheres to safety regulations; applies radiation protection measures in work practices according to established procedures.
11.Initiates and/or responds to emergency codes such as Code Blue, etc., according to departmental policy.
12. Attends departmental in-services and meetings as required.
13. Utilizes appropriate guest relation skills during interactions with patients, visitors, staff, physicians, other lab personnel, etc.
14. May assume responsibility for daily operational activities in assigned area such as adjusting for work schedules, providing assistance, etc., in absence of supervisor.
15. Adheres to all infection control and safety policies.
16. Performs a range of associated administrative functions, as appropriate, such as monitoring budgets, preparing administrative and documenting the program requirements.
17. Participate in the review and modification of department or program operating policies and procedures.
19. Coordinates and monitors services, including comprehensive tracking of patient activities in relation to the treatment plan.
20. Develops and maintains effective interdepartmental relationships and participates in activities which contribute to the effective function of the treatment and program.
21. Maintain and report applicable statistics regarding treatment plan and patient services.
22. Oversee medications and prescriptions.
23. Oversee the administration of medical services.
24. Responsible for assessing, screening and education of patients and for maintaining medical records.
25. Assess medical status of patients, referring for outside medical care when appropriate, performs on-going assessments, and implements physician orders in a timely manner.
26. Participate in the orientation of patients to the lab.
27. Administers medications as prescribed, monitors for adverse effects; disposes of all discontinued medication in compliance with regulations; monitors the filling of prescriptions and end of shift drug count.
28. Communicates medical information to facilitate authorization and/or re-authorization with the appropriate physicians and their staff.
29. Participates in peer evaluation for the job performance of team members.
30. Assists in orienting and training employees.
31. Communicate effectively and professionally.
32. Responsible for participation in Quality Management Plan.
33. Pursue continuing educational opportunities.
34. Meet all of CVM competencies at the start of employment and yearly within 30 days of their anniversary date.
35. Familiarize themselves with the CVM Policy and Procedure Manual at the start of employment and yearly within 30 days of their anniversary date.
36. Meets all CVM standards to include but not limited to CPR, ACLS, Annual competency training for on-site equipment, State and National licensure according to the all governing board standards.
37. Performs miscellaneous job-related duties as assigned.
38. Maintains a clean and safe work environment.
1. Ability: Must possess the knowledge, skill, physical ability and mental capacity to perform the typical duties and responsibilities enumerated or implicit therein.
2. Education: Minimum of Associate of Arts degree in Nursing State of Maryland Nursing License
Ability to supervise and train employees, to include organizing
Ability to communicate effectively to subordinates. Ability to work effectively in a self-directed role Ability to multi-task, capable of daily problem-solving complex issues Skill in analysis of processes and procedures. Excellent written and verbal skills Basic computer skills necessary
4. Experience: Minimum of 1 year experience in Cardiovascular Lab, Critical care or equivalent experience
1. Certified by the Maryland Board of Nursing.
2. CPR certification.
3. ACLS certification.