Responsible for the overall coordination of assessment, planning, development, implementation and evaluation of the operations of multiple departments and functions within Patient Care Services. Carries out the Health System, Hospital and Patient Care Services’ mission, vision, values and overall strategic plan for growth and business development, clinical management, patient care, budgeting, financial management, and quality management of responsible departments. Promotes Health System service standards and creating a patient focused caring environment while addressing and meeting the individual needs of the patient. Functions as a key clinical leader and communicates regularly with senior administration and departmental directors. Fosters an environment of collaboration and respect with physician, allied health, nursing colleagues and other healthcare team members.
1. Operational Performance
• Serves as a liaison with senior administration in planning strategic goals and objectives, implementation and evaluation of operations and outcomes of the responsible departments.
• Conducts regularly scheduled meetings with the responsible departmental directors and management to address goals and objectives, operational performance metrics and improvement activities, and any staff concerns.
• Assists in developing and maintaining objectives, policies and procedures to ensure the efficient operation of the responsible departments.
• Assures that departmental service excellence goals and objectives are established to support the institutional values and goals.
• Ensures adequate staffing coverage in accordance with established productivity measures based on patient population needs.
• Ensures accountability in the provision of support services essential to each department’s provision of patient care.
• Strives to streamline operations and effectively apply new concepts and techniques for positive outcomes. Identifies and implements technology to improve operations.
2. Financial Performance
• Coordinates and oversees the development, preparation and monitoring of the responsible departments’ annual personnel, supply and equipment budgets by the individual department directors.
• Develops, oversees and monitors all departmental operational performance metrics.
• Monitors budgetary variances and progress in budget performance and communicates to department and administration.
3. Employee Investment - Human Resource Development/Management
• Hires, educates, mentors, and evaluates responsible departmental directors.
• Educates departmental directors in new / existing department procedures and systems (e.g. information systems, fiscal responsibility, etc).
• Makes recommendations and provides opportunities for growth and development of personnel and arranges for appropriate education and training. Ensures succession planning for own role as well as management roles within departments of responsibility.
• Promotes a level of professionalism, which motivates academic pursuit and continuing education on the part of the staff by establishing and meeting departmental based educational goals.
• Creates and maintains a supportive, continual learning environment for all staff, and students.
• Ensures annual performance evaluation of staff in a timely fashion.
• Responds in a timely fashion to staff concerns and functions proactively to retain staff.
• Works with human resources and departmental directors to counsel, discipline and terminate staff, as needed.
• Establishes departmental metrics and goals to measure effectiveness of retention strategies.
• Demonstrates self-development and keeps current on a variety of clinical management and health care topics by participation on a national and local level in professional associations and promotion of national agenda initiatives.
• Completes the CLI Core Management Series and appropriate leadership conferences, serves as active faculty at the Nursing Institute.
4. Quality -Standards Compliance
• Ensures continual compliance of responsible departments with all JC, CMS, NYS DOH, Public Health Law, HIPAA, Corporate Compliance, institutional and departmental rules and regulations and makes certain these are properly addressed in policy and procedure.
• Collaborates with the Associate Executive Director; Chief Nurse Executive and Directors to establish patient care standards and evaluates overall compliance.
• Identifies quality benchmarks utilizing regional and national data to monitor programmatic quality and identifies opportunities for improvement.
• Supports and encourages research endeavors and activities within the departments.
• Ensures that a safe and caring environment is maintained for patients that is conducive to positive health teaching, and maintenance; patient and family expectations of care; develops mechanism to assess same.
• Fosters and implements programs within the departments that support cultural diversity.
5. Interactive Relationships
• Promotes empowerment of the departmental management and staff by utilizing collaborative approaches and encouraging new ideas.
• Functions as a leader of the healthcare team and various interdisciplinary committees to improve patient care and meet patient needs.
• Promotes collegial relationships based on mutual respect and support.
6. Performs related duties, as required.
• Master’s Degree in Nursing, required. Master’s and Bachelor’s Degree must be in Nursing.
• Current license to practice as a Registered Professional Nurse in New York State.
• Minimum of ten (10) years experience including five (5) years nursing experience and a minimum of five (5) years progressive management experience, required.
• Extensive knowledge of the health care marketplace, financial analysis, budgets, and operational analysis, required.
• Demonstrated leadership, communication and interpersonal skills, required.