Administrative Supervisor (Nursing)
Job ID: 12756
Shift: Regular Schedule Day
Schedule Type: Full Time with Benefits
Weekend Work: Weekends as Needed
Holidays: As Needed
Department Name: The Cancer Center
On Call: No On-Call Required
More information about this job:
Job Summary and Responsibilities:
The Administrative Supervisor is a professional registered nurse who assumes responsibility and accountability for the management of patient care units according to the philosophy and standards of the Department of Patient Care on an assigned shift. This position effectively coordinates patient care/unit activities among nursing, physicians, and support services.
1. Interprets supports and communicates policies, standards and procedures.
2. Effectively and efficiently identifies shift problems; investigates and responds appropriately to all situations.
3. Effectively conducts employee performance appraisals in a timely manner on per diems and unit personnel as requested.
4. Initiates corrective action and disciplinary interviews in accordance with applicable policies and procedures.
5. Assists in maintaining appropriate staffing levels in compliance with acuity and budgetary levels.
6. Serves as a role model for staff in all aspects of nursing (i.e. professionalism, quality care).
7. Acts as a liaison for nursing department for concerns between departments and facilities.
8. Collaborates with the Nurse Manager for efficient fiscal management of departmental activities to ensure proper utilization of hospital financial resources.
9. Assists in identifying cost containment measures by identifying alternative measures of product utilization within the nursing departments.
10. Interacts in an appropriate and timely manner in conflict situations, facilitating constructive resolutions and positive outcomes if possible.
11. Collaborates with the Management Team on inter and intra departmental issues that may occur when dealing with other members of the organization.
12. Coordinates and manages the daily operations of the division in the absence of administration.
13. Provides employee supervision to further enhance quality care and gives feedback to staff and Nurse Managers.
14. Identifies patient care issues and collaborates with the Management Team to initiate change.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities Required:
1. Bachelor's degree in Nursing from an accredited nursing program and three years of professional nursing experience, administrative/supervisory experience; or seven years of professional nursing experience which includes one year of administrative/supervisory experience; or any equivalent combination of experience and/or education from which comparable knowledge, skills, and abilities have been achieved.
2. Current licensure to practice as a Registered Nurse in the State of New Jersey.
3. Current valid NJ State Professional Registered Nurse license.
4. Maintains American Heart Association Basic Life Support.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities Preferred:
1. Knowledge of team making management practices.
2. Knowledge of nursing principles, practices, and techniques.
3. Knowledge of supervisory practices and principles.
4. Knowledge of state and agency laws and regulations governing general professional nursing practices.
5. Skill in both verbal and written communication.
6. Skill in leadership.
7. Skill in applying professional nursing methods and techniques.
8. Skill in maintaining effective working relationships.
9. Certification in Nursing Administration desirable.
Oncology experience required.