Patient Care Associate
Job ID: 12392
Shift: Weekend Day
Schedule Type: Per Diem
Weekend Work: ..
Department Name: Mother/Baby West
On Call: ..
More information about this job:
Job Summary and Responsibilities:
The Patient Care Associate provides direct patient care under the direction of the RN professional to all assigned patients and maintains a safe patient area. This role also supplies clerical support for this patient population. He/She assumes responsibility and accountability for patient care as a team member in order to achieve established outcomes. 1. Identifies mother/significant other and infant accurately.
2. Provides hygiene and comfort care to mothers and newly born infants including bathing, toileting/diapering, feeding and bed making.
3. Takes vital signs under the direction of the RN and documents electronically according to Medical Center policy, reporting results to RN.
4. Performs and documents glucose finger stick/heel stick and collects other specimens including stool, urine and sputum when directed by the RN.
5. Observes and documents patient's intake and output.
6. Maintains BLS certification and initiates interventions in emergent situations.
7. Assists with patient transport to and from the unit/department.
8. Provides a safe patient environment by answering all call lights promptly, communicating with the RN immediately for any changes in patient condition.
9. Acts in the patient sitter role when needed.
10. Downloads Glucometer and TcB information in accordance with established policies.
11. Monitors inventory, orders supplies and equipment and procures all items as needed using established channels.
12. Performs A/D/T functions and patient charge entries.
13. Initiates, and maintains patient's medical record in accordance with established policies.
14. Identifies the needs of the patient population served and with the professional nurse modifies and delivers care that is specific to those needs (i.e.: age, culture, language, hearing and/or visually impaired).
15. Communicates with patients and primary caregivers at their level of understanding.
16. Adheres to the standards in the Medical Center's Organizational Competencies and Code of Conduct.
17. Performs other appropriate duties of the department at the request of the Nurse Manager/Supervisor.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities Required: 1. High school diploma or equivalent.
2. BLS certification. Knowledge, Skills and Abilities Preferred: