Patient Care Technician
Job ID: 12376
Schedule Type: Part-time with Benefits
Weekend Work: ..
Department Name: Observation
On Call: ..
More information about this job:
Job Summary and Responsibilities:
The Patient Care Technician is responsible for assisting registered professional nurses, in the care of the patient. He/she performs all of the essential generic job functions as listed below. 1. Welcomes patients and checks for proper identification bracelets.
2. Prepares the patient for assessment/admission, physical examination and procedures.
3. Draws intravenous or capillary blood from newborn through geriatric aged patients using proper aseptic collection techniques, assure appropriate labeling and processing of specimens to expedite through put of patients.
4. Performs EKG for patients as directed.
5. Compiles EKG reports for physician interpretation (including associated billing charges).
6. Assures the presence, functionality and cleanliness of all necessary equipment.
7. Assists in the transport of patient to departments or units upon request.
8. Assists with preparation as necessary assuring the patient is assisted with meals/ or fed as needed.
9. Checks inventory of assigned area and restocks as directed.
10. Ensures room environment is prepared for admission.
11. Provides direct hygiene and comfort care to patients including bathing, toileting, oral hygiene, incontinent care, and bed making.
12. Takes vital signs on admission under the direction of the RN, and documents accordingly on appropriate flow sheets, and notifies the RN of results, assists with admission as appropriate inclusive of checking of patient ID bands.
13. Performs and documents glucose finger sticks and collects other specimens as directed.
14. Obtains and documents daily patient weights and observes and documents patient's intake and output.
15. Provides a safe patient environment by answering call lights promptly, communicating with the RN immediately for any change ion the patient's condition.
16. Identifies the needs of the patient population served and modifies and delivers care that is specific to those needs not limited to (i.e., age, culture, language, hearing and/or visually impaired, etc.). This process includes communicating with the patient, parent, and/or primary caregiver(s) at their level (developmental/age, educational, literacy, etc.)
17. Adheres to the standards identified in the Medical Center's Organizational Competencies and Standards of Behavior.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities Required: 1. High school diploma or equivalent.
2. To work every other weekend.
3. To work three (3) out of six (6) holidays.
4. To work rotating schedule/shifts based on needs.
5. Maintain current BLS certification. Knowledge, Skills and Abilities Preferred: 1. Medical Assistant education/certification.
2. Experience as a nurse aide or technician in acute care healthcare setting.