Job ID: 12459
Shift: Regular Schedule Day
Schedule Type: Full Time with Benefits
Weekend Work: ..
Department Name: Nursing Education
On Call: ..
More information about this job:
Job Summary and Responsibilities:
The Education Specialist is a Registered Professional Nurse who is responsible for education in an assigned area to promote educational outcomes consistent with the goals of the department.
1. Assesses all aspects of the educational process, including the assessment of staff learning needs, development of curricula to meet these needs, implementation of educational programs/offerings, and the outcomes of such programs/offerings.
2. Delivers educational offerings based on adult education learning principles.
3. Develops, reviews, and revises nursing procedures, both directly and on a consultation basis, teaching records, performance checklists, orientation competency maps, patient education materials, etc., as they relate to staff/patient education, including incorporating same into orientation and all applicable continuing education.
4. Acts as a resource and mentor to clinical instructors in relation to clinical objectives, teaching strategies, and evaluation of staff performance in the clinical setting.
5. Assists Nurse Managers, Advanced Practice Nurses, Case Managers, and Clinical Educator in planning and presenting continuing education programs/courses.
6. Monitors educational outcomes through Performance Improvement (PI) activities, reviews PI data results, develops educational programs based on Performance Improvement data results, implements performance improvement activities as they relate to the specific focus team structures developed within the Department of Nursing Education, i.e. (Critical Care, Medical-Surgical, Orientation, Women and Children).
7. Sets annual goals and educational plans based on the goals of the HUMC and the Department of Patient Care.
8. Develops working knowledge of the ANA standards, and communicates these standards to the Clinical Educators and Nursing Staff.
9. Identifies the needs of the patient population served and modifies and delivers care that is specific to those needs (i.e., age, culture, hearing and/or visually impaired, etc.). This process includes communicating with the patient, parent, and/or primary caregiver(s) at their level (developmental/age, educational, literacy, etc.).
10. Adheres to the standards identified in the Medical Center's Organizational Competencies.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities Required:
1. Graduate of an NLN/AACN accredited program in nursing.
2. Master's degree in nursing required.
3. Minimum of 3 years of acute care nursing in area of specialty.
4. Minimum of 1 year experience as a classroom instructor in either a hospital staff development department or a school of professional nursing.
5. Current valid NJ State Professional Registered Nurse license.
6. Maintains American Heart Association Basic Life Support HCP Certification.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities Preferred:
1. Experience with curriculum development, evaluative methods, and contact hour application.
2. Professional certification in an area of specialty related to practice (staff development).