Manages the overall assessment, planning, implementation and evaluation of ambulatory patient care unit. Carries-out overall strategic planning, clinical management, patient care, budgeting, financial management and quality management. Promotes the health system service standards and creates a patient focused caring environment while addressing and meeting the individual needs of the patient. Fosters an environment of collaboration and respect with physician colleagues, nurses and other healthcare team members.
1. Standards Compliance
- Maintains current knowledge of and ensures compliance with all regulatory and professional standards of care which includes Joint Commission on Accreditation of Healthcare Organizations (JCAHO), Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services (CMS), International Health Institute (IHI), Community Alternatives Programs (CAP), etc.
- Uses creativity in developing quality/performance improvement programs, instructing staff and implementing new and improved standards.
- Uses results from tracer methodology tools to develop corrective action plans to ensure that quality of care is embedded into clinical practice on an ongoing basis.
2. Operational Performance
- Develops, prepares and monitors the personnel, supply and equipment budgets in collaboration with the staff and support department directors.
- Develops long-term unit staffing schedules and ensures adequate daily coverage in accordance with established staffing needs.
- Develops measures and monitors unit operational performance metrics inclusive of Length-Of-Stay (LOS), agency and overtime costs, vacancy and turnover rates.
3. Clinical Practice/Patient Care
· Collaborates with senior nursing/clinical management to establish nursing care standards and evaluates staff compliance.
- Identifies research protocols effecting the patient population served and keeps nursing staff informed.
- Facilitates the effective provision of support services essential to patient care.
- Maintains a safe and caring environment for patients that is conducive to positive health teaching, and maintenance; patient and family expectations of care; develops mechanism to assess same.
- Develops unit goals and objectives to support the institutional values and goals, with input from staff.
- Recognizes the need for patient care to be delivered in a culturally sensitive manner and role models sensitivity to staff.
- Participates in the overall planning process for the service.
- Responsible for the overall planning process for the unit.
- Uses findings from patient satisfaction survey and with input from the staff, to establish unit based customer services agenda.
- Develops an effective plan for delivery of nursing care within the assigned area of responsibility.
- Responds to patient and family concerns or complaints with sensitivity and compassion in a timely fashion.
- Conducts monthly meetings with the staff to address equipment, scheduling, goals and objectives, performance metrics and improvement activities, and any staff concerns.
5. Human Resource Development/Management
- Hires, educates and evaluates staff.
- Works with Human Resources to counsel, discipline and terminate staff as needed.
- Educates staff in new and existing department procedures and systems (e.g. information systems, fiscal responsibility, etc).
- Makes recommendations and provides opportunities for growth and development of personnel and arranges for appropriate education and training. Is able to identify at least one potential successor to the Nurse Manager role
- Creates and maintains a supportive working environment for all staff, and students.
- Demonstrates self-development and keeps current on a variety of clinical management and health care topics.
- Completes the CLI Core Management Series and appropriate management conferences.
- Responds in a timely fashion to staff concerns and functions proactively to retain staff
- Establishes unit metrics and goals to measure effectiveness of retention strategies.
- Creates and maintains an atmosphere of respect and courtesy toward patients, staff and colleagues.
- Employs learning organization principles and techniques in all aspects of unit leadership
- Promotes a level of professionalism on the unit. Motivates academic pursuit and continuing education on the part of the staff by establishing and meeting service based professional certification goals.
6. Interactive Relationships
- Promotes empowerment of the staff by utilizing collaborative approaches and encouraging new ideas.
- Participates as a member of the healthcare team and various interdisciplinary committees to improve patient care and meet patient needs.
- Promotes collegial relationships based on mutual respect and support.
7. Performs related duties, as required.
- Bachelors Degree in Nursing, required. Masters Degree, preferred.
- Licensed to practice as a Registered Professional Nurse in New York State.
- Minimum of three (3) years nursing experience including previous supervisory experience.
- Previous Oncology, Breast Imaging/Radiology experience required.
- OCN Certification required.
- Excellent Intravenous skills preferred.
- Excellent computer skills required, proficient in Excel.
- Outpatient Ambulatory experience preferred.
- Knowledge of MQSA requirements.
- Demonstrated leadership, communication and interpersonal skills, required.