Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
· Communications with patients independently or with the EP Physician to assess and respond to patient health status. Responds to any urgent situations determining what interventions are needed to assist the patient consulting with the EP Physician or EP MLP as indicated.
· Aids in creating the plan of care for the patient.
· Implements, monitors and manages the patient care plan and physician orders under the guidance of the EP Physician
· Assess, evaluates and triages the patients current symptoms, questions, complaints and responses to treatments in person and via telephone. Determines next steps in the patient care plan using standard EP cardiac measurements.
· Demonstrates knowledge and skill in device interrogation, based on Stroobants Cardiovascular Center guidelines.
· Organize, interpret, and document data; and accurately communicate with physicians, nurses, other staff and patients.
· Answers patient questions and advises patient regarding potential solutions. Determining when to consult with the EP Physician and communicating in a timely manner.
· Shares information with the cardiologist, PCP, or ED based on the assessment and treatment plan.
· Completes all pre procedure care per SCC protocols. Organizes and coordinates procedure scheduling with the hospital and patient. Reviews and evaluates all pre procedure testing prior to the event.
· Reviews and evaluates lab and test results, determining the significance of the results and what appropriate follow up steps are needed, including when to forward to or notify the EP Physician of the results and sharing the results with the patient.
· Maintain knowledge of all devices, each manufacturers programmer, remote websites, new technology, and current trends in cardiology and general nursing.
· Documents all patient care interactions in the EMR.
· Assist the EP Physician with rounding duties for hospitalized patients on the EP service.
· Prepares, creates and gathers materials to facilitate education as needed.
· Assist in managing physician schedule ensuring that patients are seen within an appropriate time frame.
· May travel to satellite clinics to provide assistance.
· Maintains open communication and good relationships with the patients PCP and other referring physicians and staff.
· Other duties that may be assigned from time to time
Qualifications and Skills
· Graduate from an accredited school of nursing
· Bachelors degree
· 5+ years of nursing experience in a cardiology practice office setting or cardiovascular nursing (critical care, cardiac rehab, cardiac cath lab, ED, or equivalent hospital experience)
· Knowledge of telemetry, pacemakers, ICDs, EP procedures, stress testing
· State of Virginia RN license
· BLS and ACLS
· Masters degree preferred