The Education Specialist/Clinician is an advanced practice role that involves responsibility for the assessment, planning, coordination, implementation and evaluation of educational, clinical and quality initiatives, with 24-hour accountability for same. This role provides coordination and teaching of unit-based clinical and quality initiatives, orientation, clinical support, staff development, and competency assessment of all nursing personnel with participation in centralized educational programs as assigned to support the mission of nursing education for the Department of Nursing. This role is also accountable for the promotion of the growth and development of nursing practice through the application and initiation of advanced, specialized nursing care.
Duties and Responsibilities:
1. Responsible for the provision of educational programs, clinical support, clinical consultation and advanced practice specialty practice involving all levels of nursing personnel within the assigned Clinical Specialty Area.
2. Develops, teaches, coordinates and evaluates educational programs with full accountability for same.
3. Collaborates with clinical nurse manager/clinical coordinator to assess educational needs of staff, plan programs and provide continuous competency assessment of staff.
4. Acts as a clinical and educational resource to all levels of nursing personnel and the health care team.
5. Participates in the assessment, implementation and ongoing evaluation of clinical services for a designated patient population.
6. Serves as a resource to patients and family/caregivers
7. Develops and supports preceptors in their role, as appropriate.
8. Provides mentorship to students/staff.
9. Participates and promotes collegiality within the interdisciplinary health care team.
10. Communicates effectively with others and acknowledges effects of behavior on others.
11. Assumes preceptor responsibilities as needed to facilitate role transition of new clinical staff members.
12. Assumes preceptor responsibilities for newly hired Nursing Education staff.
13. Participates in the clinical practices and educational programs for health care professionals/students.
14. Utilizes standards, policies and procedures as appropriate resources.
15. Serves as program leader/facilitator for assigned educational programs.
16. Participates in continuous quality performance improvement processes within the Nursing Department / Specialty Areas.
17. Maintain records of educational programs and compliance with all regulatory agency requirements.
18. Identifies problems, issues, safety, and practice concerns in the clinical area and initiates chain of command.
19. Acts as a change agent for new initiatives and programs.
20. Supports the mission, vision, philosophy, and goals of the Department of Nursing and the Medical Center.
21. Maintains clinical expertise in area of specialization.
22. Participates in nursing research/evidence base practice activities and utilizes same in clinical practice/educational initiatives.
23. Considers ethical issues of professional nursing practice and adheres to the code of ethics.
24. Demonstrates a humanistic, kind and caring attitude in the delivery of health care.
25. Chairs and/or participates in Department of Nursing and Medical Center committees.
26. Serves as a professional resource to other members of the interdisciplinary health care team.
27. Treats co-workers, patients and families with dignity and respect.
28. Is open and responsive to the diverse backgrounds and experience of other people, and promotes an environment that is sensitive to cultural diversity.
29. Attends and participates in conferences and seminars.
30. Must read, write, understand and speak English in a clear and concise manner.
Communication and interpersonal skills to work effectively with a wide variety of individuals.
Physical stamina and manual dexterity necessary to perform and teach designated skills/tasks in area of assignment.